PrEP in the UK

hungrysubbuk

This is really for BBers in the UK.

I saw a piece on Channel 4 news yesterday re generic Truvada - as Truvada itself is not available on the NHS and costs £400.00 for 30 pills.

The generic alternative is £45.00 for 30, so a fraction of the cost.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone re their experiences with this medication.

Guest ufuckme

I've been on the Proud clinical trial since 2013 and had no side effects from it apart from feeling mildly sick on the 3rd day, but that could have been a coincidence. I get blood tests every 3 months and a new supply of Truvada then all I have to do is remember to take it and fill in an online 'tick box' diary. It's ending in April so I'm not sure what happens after that but the £45 a month websites seem like a good alternative until it gets approved

• 2 weeks later...

Dang bud, £400 or $598 US Dollars, and you're complaining? I get so tired of non-US folks complaining about high prices, when they pay soooo much less than us in the US. We pay for all the Research and Development, while other countries pay far less. My husband is on PreP and if I didn't have good insurance, we'd be paying $1,300 per month, or £879.83. That's TWICE the amount you'd pay for the real PreP, not the generic, which we don't even have available to us in the US. We fortunately have a max. out of pocket of $2,500, so after two months we pay nothing for the meds....but did I say that I have GOOD insurance?

No offense intended bud. I understand that even $598 a month is expensive, but it could be WORSE if it wasn't for those of us in the US paying for the R&D. Good luck with trying to get the med's. :)